How long to air fry sweet potato fries?
Have you ever wondered if your air fryer can cook sweet potatoes fries? Yes, it can! How long does it take to cook sweet potato fries in an air fryer though? If all procedures below are followed, you can have your sweet potato fries properly cooked within a time frame of 17 to 19 minutes! The tips for a short cook time of sweet potato fries in air fryer include the following;
– Ensure that you heat the air fryer up before you start cooking with it. Just like how you’d preheat an oven before baking, it is very necessary that you do the same for your air fryer. The best temperature for your sweet potato fries is about 400-degrees Fahrenheit.
– The air fryer has a basket within which the fries would be placed. Ensure that you keep the basket greased with any cooking spray of your choice. The cooking spray should however be a kind that wouldn’t stick to your fries. Examples of such include sprays made from oily avocado bases.
– Free circulation of air within the air fryer is very essential when it comes to achieving a short range of cooking time. The reason for this is because the heated air is responsible for the frying of the potato fries. Always ensure that the fries are arranged in ways that would not obstruct the passage of air.
– Ensure that you periodically shake the basket in the air fryer. This procedure will ensure that the fries are properly cooked. You can do this at an interval of 6 to 7 minutes.
How to make sweet potato fries in air fryer
Sweet potato fries should always taste crispy and sweet! In this section, we would be looking at the tips on how to cook sweet potato fries in air fryer. What tips should be employed? What cooking styles should be fused into our recipe to get the fries really delicious? The answer to all these questions and more would be supplied in this section;
Get about two sweet potatoes with slender bodies
The potatoes should not be too long though. That way, you wouldn’t have to bother about reducing the length of the strips after cutting. However, you must take note of the fact that the strips would still shrink after they have been cooked. So, the lengths you work with must be slightly more than the usual length for potato fries.
Peel the skin off the potatoes
Most people would prefer to leave the skins though, for purposes tied to nutritional value. If you are going to do that, ensure that you wash the skins thoroughly under a flow of warm water in order to get rid of germs and other specks of dirt.
Place the potatoes on a chopping board and then, cut them longitudinally (along their lengths).
The first slice should divide the potatoes into halves. The second slice should lead to the formation of potato strips. Ensure that the strips are cut thinly enough. The thinner they are, the crispier they’ll turn out to be. The fatter the strips are, the more of potato wedges they’d taste like.
Preheat your air-fryer to any temperature of your choice
Usually, a temperature of 140-degree Fahrenheit does the trick.
Now, it’s time to work on the seasoning for your fries! This step is what fetches you the sweetness! There are so many spices that you can work into your fries. Here, we will look at a number of them;
- Oils like Olive oil, Canola oil, Avocado oil, etc.
- Garlic powder
- Pepper—Black pepper, Cayenne pepper
- A glass of beaten egg whites
- Dried thyme
- Dried basil
– Ensure that all of the fries are evenly smothered with the spices before placing them inside the basket of the air fryer.
– Ensure that the fries are not placed too closely to each other within the basket. This will help ensure that the heated air is able to circulate freely and quickly.
– To achieve the best results, ensure that you use the first batch of strips as samples. Some air fryers may have their best working temperatures below 140-degree Fahrenheit. The moment you notice this, ensure that you reduce the temperature for the consequent batches.
You can serve your potato fries with any of these;
- Baked beans
- Tomato sauce—Ketchup
- Gravy—Rosemary gravy
- Mac and cheese
- Kimchi, etc.
How long to cook sweet potato fries in oven?
The oven can be used to cook your sweet potato strips! How long does it take to cook sweet potato fries in the oven though? Once you place the strips on the oven’s baking sheet, they become ready after about 20 to 30 minutes. This time frame includes both the time for preparing the strips and the actual cooking time.
How to make sweet potato fries in oven
On how to make sweet potato fries in the oven, follow the procedures listed out below;
– Preheat your oven to a temperature of 425-degree Fahrenheit. Now, depending on the brand of your oven, the temperature may be less or more. If you aren’t too sure of the perfect temperature, you could bake the fries in batches.
– While cutting the potato into strips, ensure that they are of the same sizes.
– After cutting, smother the fries with seasonings like salt and pepper.
– Ensure that the strips are placed on one sheet at a time in order to achieve the best color for your fries.
– Turn the fries over after about fifteen minutes so that all the sides are in contact with the heated air.
– The strips should remain in the oven until they are soft enough for consumption. If your oven achieves this in a time lesser than thirty minutes, feel free to remove the fries from the baking sheets.
– Allow the fries to cool down.
– Add any seasoning of your choice to the fries before eating.
At what temperature should I bake sweet potato fries?
Have you ever asked yourself, what temperature you should bake sweet potato fries? First, you should know that the temperature depends on the following;
- The thickness of the strips
The fatter the potato strips are, the more the time it would take for the strips to cook.
- The evenness of the strips
The more regular or even the strips are, the faster the strips would cook.
- The number of baking sheets in the oven
The more the baking sheets in the oven, the more the time that would be required for the strips to bake. That is why it is advised to work with one baking sheet at a time.
The best cooking temperature for your sweet potato fries ranges between 400-degree Fahrenheit and 450-degree Fahrenheit.