How to cook egusi soup without frying
Egusi is one of Nigeria’s most popular food, so today I’m going to show you how to cook Egusi soup by boiling method. This method is very easy and fast no need for frying and I assure you, you’re going to get a very tasty and delicious egusi even without frying it, this recipe is highly nutritious and super healthy for you! make sure to read to the end so you don’t miss anything.
Below are the steps on how to cook egusi soup boiling method
Ingredients for making egusi soup without frying
- Smoked cat fish or any fish of your choice
- Stock fish
- Bitter leaf
- Frozen spinach
- Seasoning cube
- Red pepper
- Yellow pepper
- Ogiri (local beans)
- Palm oil
How to prepare egusi soup without frying
1. Season the meat – add some of the spice to the meat (onion, seasoning cube) and some water that can be able to boil the meat and put the pot on the heat.
2. While it’s boiling wash your pepper ( I normally cook my red pepper for 10 minutes because it gives my pepper nice consistency) and also wash your smoked cat fish with hot water and salt.
3. After the boiling the red pepper for 10 minutes blend it together with the yellow pepper, onion and crayfish, add a little water to it before you blend after blending the pepper add the local beans (ogiri) to the pepper and blend till the form cream.
4. Add the blended pepper mixture to the meat you are cooking and allow it to boil.
5. If you have not blended your egusi, take the seed and blend it you can still blend it with extra onion and add a little bit water to the egusi and blend until it’s smooth, after blending pour it into a bowl and set it aside until your sauce starts boiling (your meat with the pepper mixture).
6. if your sauce starts boiling add your stock fish, seasoning cube and everything you are using to cook. Wash your stock fish first with water before adding it to the sauce, add your seasoning cube until it suits your taste, add your cat fish and salt for more taste also add a little bit of oil to give it an amazing this is optional though because egusi already has oil in it.
7. After adding the oil you can now add your fish and stir properly and allow it to boil before adding the egusi also taste it to make sure your seasoning is enough.
8. After boiling for some minutes you can now spread your egusi all over the sauce, after adding your egusi don’t stir just cover the lid of your pot half way (leave some parts open) and allow it to cook for about 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
9. Open the lid after cooking for about 3-4 minutes , stir and combine the egusi with the sauce and allow it to continue cooking.
10. You can now ahead to add your bitter leaf ( you can use dry or fresh bitter leaf) and don’t stir after adding it just just cover the lid of your pot half way (leave some parts open) and allow it to cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
11. After cooking for about 4 minutes open your lid and give it a good stir, you should also taste it to know if the salt and seasoning is enough.
12. Finally the last step is to add your frozen spinach (the spinach already contains some water) so allow the water to cook for about 4-5 minutes and stir continually.
13. You can now take your delicious egusi soup off the heat and serve with anything you like, enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe of how to cook egusi soup boiling method, if you did, don’t forget to share to your friends and loved ones.