How to cook oha soup
Oha soup is very popular soup in the eastern part of Nigeria, so we’re going to be looking out how to cook oha soup with achi and how to cook oha soup with cocoyam. it’s a delicious and mouth watering recipe.
Achi is used to thicken the oha soup. It serves a s a good replacement to cocoyam. Though most people prefer using achi to thicken their oha soup to cocoyam because it thickens it more than cocoyam.
This recipe is very easy to prepare, let’s get right into it.
Ingredients to make oha soup with achi
1. Oha leaves
3. Ogiri (locust beans)
4. Palm oil
7. Stock cubes
9. Chilli pepper
11. Stock fish
How to prepare oha soup with achi
1. Wash your meat and stock fish properly, season with a seasoning cube, onion, salt, add some water and place on a medium heat to cook for some minutes.
2. After some minutes, add your blended crayfish, chilli or dried pepper and stir.
3. Next is to add another stock cube and some salt to taste.
4. Pour in some palm oil according to quantity of your soup, give it a proper stir, cover it and allow to cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
5. After about 5 minutes, dilute your ogiri (locust beans) with small water and pour into the pot then stir.
6. Now is the time to add your achi (thickener). When adding your achi, be careful not to over do it to avoid over thickening of your soup, however if you like it that way, you add to your satisfaction.
But I’d advise you add your achi bit by bit and keep stirring until you’re okay with the consistency.
7. Finally, wash, shred and add your oha leaves, cover and allow to cook for another 5 minutes, then turn off your heat.
Now your very tasty oha soup with achi is ready to serve. Enjoy with eba, pounded yam or semovita.
How to cook oha soup with cocoyam
Cooking oha soup with cocoyam is very nutritious as well. Some even regard it as the best way of preparing this dish. As cocoyam has its nutritional value and gives your soup that perfect consistency. However most people run away from this method because they believe it takes a little more time than how to cook oha soup with achi.
Ingredients to make oha soup with cocoyam
1. Oha leaves
2. Palm oil
3. Stock fish, smoked dried fish or any fish you like
6. Seasoning cube
11. Ogiri (locust beans)
12. Fresh pepper (red or yellow)
How to prepare oha soup with cocoyam
1. Put your cocoyam into a pot (5 or 6 depending on the size of your soup) and boil for about 15 – 20 minutes.
2. Wash your meat, season with salt, onion, seasoning cube, add some water and place on a medium heat to cook.
3. When the meat have softened a bit, add your smoked/dried fish, blend your fresh pepper with a little water and add it too. Then pour in some more water (if the one in the pot is not enough) and stir.
4. Now pour in some quantity of palm oil that will be enough for the soup. Give it a proper stir and cover it to cook for some minutes.
5. While it’s cooking, peel and blend/pound your cocoyam until it forms a paste. Ensure it’s properly blended/pounded to avoid forming lumps in the soup.
6. Next add the cocoyam into the boiling soup, add some blended crayfish, dilute your ogiri (locust beans) with water, stir and make sure everything is properly combined. Cover your pot and allow to cook for a few minutes.
7. After a few minutes, wash your oha leaves, shred them in pieces and gently add them to your soup, stir and allow to cook for 1 – 2 minutes, then turn off your heat.
Your delicious oha soup with cocoyam is ready!!! serve with anything you like.
That’s how to cook oha soup with achi and how to cook oha soup with cocoyam. It’s a very tasty and nutritious recipe, give it a try! and don’t forget to share this post with your family and friends.