Two of the ingredients that make up French toast are eggs and milk. However, most people want to know if they can make French toast without eggs and milk? Yes, you can. That kind of French toast is usually referred to as the vegan French toast. It is quite easy to make and within a few minutes, you can have it served.
What can you substitute milk for in French toast?
Have you ever wondered what you can substitute milk for in French toast? In case you are vegetarian who wouldn’t use condensed or evaporated milk, what do you do? The milk is one of the ingredients that should seep into your bread before it is toasted. So, what happens if it has to be removed? Nothing! Just ensure you use any of these;
What can I use instead of eggs in French toast?
For those that want to know what they can use instead of eggs in French toast, here is an amazing substitute for you to work with—cornstarch! Eggs work to thicken the mix for coating bed slices. Cornstarch is also another natural binding agent. However, ensure that you spice up the cornstarch with seasonings like nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla extract, etc.
How to make French toast without eggs and milk
We established that French toast can be made without eggs and milk in the previous section. Let’s go on to see how to make French toast without eggs and milk. First, we need to know that the bread is dipped into a mix of eggs and milk before it is toasted. Whatever ingredient we use should be able to moisten the bread slices too.
Follow the recipe below to get started!
1. Slice your bread into any shape you like. Here, white bread was used.
2. Set the sliced bread pieces aside and then, unpeel your bananas. Ensure that the bananas are ripe.
3. Use a fork to work the slices of banana into a mesh.
4. Add in almond milk—you can also work with oat or soya milk—cinnamon, and vanilla.
5. Use the fork to mix all the ingredients until they are of uniform composition.
6. Press the bread slices into the mix for about fifteen seconds. What you want is for the bread slices to be coated with the mix.
7. Place a large pan over a cooker with medium heat. Preferably, work with a non-stick pan and then, grease the bottom with coconut oil. Coconut oil was used for the rich flavor it adds to the French toast.
8. Press the coated bread slices against the greased pan so that it toasts. You could also fry the slices within heated coconut oil while ensuring that you flip the toast consequently.
9. Serve your French toast with whipped cream, berries, maple syrup, or vegan butter.
Can you make French toast with just milk?
Have you ever wondered if you make French toast with just milk? Yes, you can. Here, we will look at a recipe that covers this!
Full fat milk
Toppings like the following; Blueberry syrup, Bananas, Whipped cream, Cinnamon, Powdered sugar, Pecans, Strawberry syrup, Diced apples
1. Put the milk, cornstarch, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl and then, whisk them until they are uniformly distributed. You should also not stop whisking the ingredients together until you see that the cornstarch is well mixed in. There shouldn’t be lumps! A food processor can be the one device that would get you a smooth mix.
2. Slice your bread into any shape you prefer.
3. Place a non-stick pan over a cooker working on medium heat and then, grease the bottom with coconut oil or any other oil you prefer.
4. Put one slice of bread into the mix you made in the first step and then, leave it to soak in completely. This could go on for about three seconds. To ensure that all the sides are evenly coated, ensure that you flip the bread after a while.
5. Grease the pan with butter and then, press the bread slices into the center of the pan. Flip the bread only after one side has been toasted to a golden color. This can take about three to four minutes. To flip the bread slices carefully, work with spatulas.
6. Repeat the procedure above for any other bread slice that you have. Ensure that you coat the bread slices only when you are ready to get them toasted.
7. Once all your bread slices are toasted, serve them with strawberries, syrup, apples, etc.
How to make French toast without eggs and cornstarch
For tips on how to make French toast without eggs and cornstarch, stick to this piece! Here, you get a recipe that cancels out eggs and cornstarch.
Flax seed meal
1. Mix the cinnamon, vanilla extract, flax seed meal, apple sauce and almond milk using whisk or a food processor. Ensure that you get a really smooth mix.
2. Coconut oil is used so that we can integrate some rich flavor into our French toast. Grease the bottom of your non-stick pan with coconut oil. Your pan should be on a cooker with medium to high heat. You could also melt some butter if you wish.
3. Slice your bread into the desired shapes. You could also choose to leave your bread unsliced.
4. Dip the bread into the mix obtained in the first step. Ensure that both faces of the bread are coated with the mix. However, what you should not do is get your bread soggy.
5. Press the coated bread against the heated pans. Ensure that you work with a spatula at this point.
6. Wait for one side of the bread to turn golden brown before flipping it over.
7. Set the toasted bread slices on a plate and then, add any topping of your choice. You could use strawberries, walnuts, etc.
In case you want to sweeten your French toast, you could also work with maple syrup or any other sweetener. In case you want to make French toasts on the go, you can make the coating mix prior to the time it is needed and then, store it in the fridge.